Tuesday, November 6, 2012

You don't know what you've got till it's gone...

One of my favorite songs from my college days was Joanie Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" and the line that starts, "Don't it always seems to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone." I guess that's what I have been going through these  past couple of days and the thing I didn't think much about having was mobility, that is moving quickly and easily without pain. I did something stupid Sunday night. I was on my way to bed and instead of taking the extra steps to turn out the hall light, I walked quickly through the dark, jamming my foot hard on the corner of the baseboard. I crawled into bed, but did not sleep well because even the blanket hurt on my foot. In the morning I could see I may have badly bruised or maybe even broken a small bone in my toe or foot. Time will tell how bad it is. Yesterday morning I needed a walking stick to get around, but by afternoon I was able to put some weight on my foot. Today I am trying to wear a slipper and that is causing a little more discomfort, but I can put weight on it. I am much slower than usual however and going to dance in my Zumba class on Thursday is probably not gonna happen.

I have been counting my blessings this month in anticipation of Thanksgiving Day. Today I am adding my good health to my list, even though little blips like this foot thing happen. I am cancer free. I take no prescribed drugs for problems family and friends have. I am pain free (most days). And my thinking is clear(do not ask my DSH about this tho' as his opinion may differ!)

For those of you who have not heard Joni sing this song, or for those fans like myself here's the you tube video:



No comments:

Post a Comment